First opened to visitors in 1968, the Mangkunegaran Place is the resident of prince Mangkunegoro. The original palace was built at the end of the eighteenth century by Mangkunegoro II and completed in 1866. Since then, several further improvements have been made, in keeping with the times. The palace contains a priceless art collection, including gold and bronze articles from the Majapahit and Mataram eras. There is also a famous gamelan orchestra from Demak, known as Kyai Kanyat Mesem. Brought to Solo in 1778, this set of instruments is recognized as the standard by which new sets are tuned. The palace can be found on jalan Diponegoro.